30th Anniversary Support A Scholar Celebration
Hosted by Breakthrough Miami2021, Charity & Social Events, Gala Guide, Save the date
Breakthrough Miami uses a unique “students-teaching-students” model to create a rigorous, vibrant learning community, where highly motivated, traditionally underrepresented 5th-12th grade students are supported to achieve post-secondary success and emerging leaders are inspired to become the next generation of educators and advocates.
Drawing upon three decades of experience and our evidence-based students-teaching-students model, Breakthrough Miami successfully developed and delivered a rigorous and engaging virtual program, creatively and rigorously meeting the expanding needs of students facing historic losses of instructional time and learning. Collectively delivering 10,000 hours of summer instruction, 130 Teaching Fellows engaged over 800 Scholars in our 2020 Summer Institute. Breakthrough Miami’s virtual program was recognized with a Distance Learning Innovation Mini-Grant from the Florida Education Foundation. Committed to meeting the evolving needs of our students and families during this time, Breakthrough worked to address the digital divide, food insecurity and housing needs of our families, while our curriculum focused on long-term goals to increase the capacity of all students in digital learning.
About Breakthrough Miami
Breakthrough Miami is positioned in our community as an Opportunity Generator. Breakthrough remains committed to advancing ambitious youth striving for educational opportunities to reach their potential. Serving 1300 Scholars from across Miami, our 8-year tuition-free academic and social enrichment program is proven to prepare students to enter and succeed in college. Our Scholars benefit from:
· Year-round academic programming utilizing a near-peer model and experiential learning approach in a 6-week Summer Institute and school-year Saturday programs
· Enrichment, character and leadership development to broaden experiences, build self-efficacy, problem solving and promote engaged citizenship
· School options guidance uniquely supports families in navigating school choice to ensure Scholars are enrolled in rigorous programs and schools aligned with their interests, talents and aspirations.
· College access and readiness for 9th-12th graders focusing on competencies for post-secondary success.
· Signature student-teaching-students model employs older students as teachers, mentors and role models in a Fellowship that has been named a Top Ten service learning experience by The Princeton Review.